15TH APRIL 1940
NEW CENTRAL LIBRARY
Is opened by the Mayor Alderman Norman Crossley. The first book
to be borrowed, Phyllis Bentley's "Take Courage", is
issued to the wife of Alderman Smailes.
29 AUGUST 1940
BOMBS AT HALL BOWER
The first two bombs dropped on the town damaged houses slightly,
blew several residents out of bed, and ruined Mrs O'Shea's
14TH/15TH MARCH 1941
Five parties are called out for the first time as hundreds
of incendiary bombs and twenty high explosive bombs are
dropped on and around Huddersfield. Anti-aircraft guns are
constantly in action throughout the night. The last air
raids to hit the town are on the 12th June.
HOLIDAYS AT HOME
Huddersfield is a pioneer in arranging entertainment for
people unable to take a seaside holiday because of the war.
31ST OCTOBER 1941
Forty seven people, mainly women, die in this clothing factory
blaze. Following a service at the Parish Church, the majority
are buried in a communal grave at Edgerton Cemetery with
a public memorial.
30TH MARCH 1943
ALDERMAN WALTER HALSTEAD
Becomes the first mayor to die in office after falling down
the Town Hall steps.
6TH JULY 1944
FARTOWN PLANE CRASH
An aircraft piloted by a local man crashes into two houses
in Central Avenue, killing the pilot, a mother and her two
year old son, and a 62 year old woman.
17TH SEPTEMBER 1944
Go on again after five years of war.
26 JUNE 1945
WINSTON CHURCHILL'S VISIT
30,000 people welcome the Prime Minister in St. George's
Square-he is overcome by the warmth of his reception.
FIRST WOMAN MAYOR
Mary Sykes, who becomes Huddersfield's first woman mayor,
also made history in 1923 when she was one of the first
four women solicitors in the country.
16TH MAY 1946
ART GALLERY EXHIBITION
Sir Kenneth Clark opens this exhibition of 200 years of
British painting held to officially celebrate the opening
of the new art gallery in the Library building. The opening
was delayed due to the gallery being designated for use
as an emergency hospital ward during the war.
The key of the first completed "Easiform" permanent
pre-fabricated house in Fernside Avenue is handed to the
15TH DECEMBER 1947
HENRY'S STORES LTD FIRE
One woman is killed trying to escape the fire, which started
in the Fairy Grotto and swept through the store.
23RD MAY 1948
The new plaque for Second World War dead is unveiled on
Fallen Heroes Memorial Day.
26TH JULY 1949
And the Duke of Edinburgh visit Trafalgar Mills, watch a
display by schoolchildren at Leeds Road Football Ground
and appear on the Town Hall Balcony before enormous crowds.
31ST OCTOBER 1949
SIR ROBERT PEEL STATUE
The crumbling statue leaves St. George's Square after 76
years for Flint Street depot where it was eventually broken
up as the soft Sicilian Marble had disintegrated. The Aberdeen
Granite Base was re-erected outside Tolson Memorial Museum
in March 1971.
24TH FEBRUARY 1950
TWO MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT
Are elected for the first time-J.P.W. Mallalieu (Labour,
Huddersfield east) and Donald Wade (Liberal, Huddersfield
6TH SEPTEMBER 1951
HUDDERSFIELD EXAMINER CENTENARY
The newspaper was originally produced a room over a shop
in Kirkgate. It was founded by Joseph Woodhead, who was
also the founder of the Dewsbury Reporter.
5TH JULY 1952
ST. PETERS GARDENS
Formerly the old parish Churchyard, are opened to the public.
13TH SEPTEMBER 1952
DUKE OF WELLINGTON REGIMENT
A ceremony is held to mark the conferring of the "privilege,
honour and distinction" of marching through the streets
of the town on all ceremonial occasions, with fixed bayonets,
colours flying and bands playing.
Appear in town for the first time
6TH NOVEMBER 1953
Published news instead of advertisements on the front page.
HUDDERSFIELD CHORAL SOCIETY
Makes history by appearing in the first TV broadcast of
the Messiah. The programme is transmitted from the Town
Hall, the conductor is Sir Malcolm Sargent.
25TH SEPTEMBER 1955
L.B. HOLLIDAYS & CO. LTD.
Four houses are totally destroyed in this chemical tip fire,
the biggest since Booth's fire in 1941.
15TH APRIL 1956
ST. PAUL'S CHURCH
The Bishop of Wakefield preaches at the final service to
be held in the church, which opened in 1831.
Becomes manager of Huddersfield Town Football Club.
24TH DECEMBER 1956
Huddersfield Town's youngest ever player, plays his first
match for the club.
19TH JULY 1957
Breaks the world record for the mile by eight-tenths of
a second, at White City, London.
13TH APRIL 1958
Is opened by Alderman Arthur Gardiner
17TH OCTOBER 1958
GAS BOARD SHOWROOM
In High Street is opened by the Mayor, Alderman R.H. Browne.
14TH NOVEMBER 1958
Visits Huddersfield to open the complex of these schools
at Salendine Nook. The Secondary modern, Huddersfield High
School for girls and New College were built at a cost of
18TH JUNE 1959
CONTINENTAL PALACE THEATRE
The old Palace Theatre re-opens as the "Continental"
with variety programmes and food and drink served at tables.
15TH APRIL 1960
VICTORIA JUBILEE TOWER
Re-opens after thirteen years closure.
29TH AUGUST 1960
Wins a gold medal for the 200m breaststroke at the Olympics
A double faced electric clock, the first of its kind in
this country, is installed above Rushworth's Departmental
store. The clock, which is visible from Westgate, Kirkgate,
John William Street and New Street, has a three foot dial
and continuous revolution.
25TH FEBRUARY 1961
The final production before the theatre is demolished is
"The latest example of Huddersfield's Civic enterprise"
is opened by the mayor, Alderman N. Day.
SIR MALCOLM SARGENT
Conductor of the Choral Society, is made a Freeman of the
Borough. The Society becomes the corporate equivalent of
a Freeman, and is awarded a complimentary resolution on
vellum to mark its 125th Anniversary.
21ST NOVEMBER 1962
Where the beer has been produced continually since the firm
was founded by Timothy Bentley in 1795, makes its last brew.
9TH SEPTEMBER 1963
RAMSDEN TECHNICAL COLLEGE
Enrolls its first students. The college was previously the
"old Building" of the College of Technology, which
moved to other premises. Ramsden Technical College is eventually
moved to the Old Royal infirmary buildings.
29TH NOVEMBER 1963
Concert attracts an audience of 4,000 at the ABC cinema
24TH DECEMBER 1963
At the end of a two year search to find the Theatre Royal,
the former Empress Ballroom opens as the New Theatre with
the pantomime "Puss in Boots".
18TH JANUARY 1964
J. WOOD AND SONS FIRE
The music shop in New Street goes up like a tinderbox after
a paraffin heater is knocked over. There are dramatic rescues
via windows in Albert Yard.
Hero Derek opens the town's third block of multi-storey
flats in Northgate.
16TH OCTOBER 1964
Becomes the Prime Minister after thirty years of Tory rule.
At 48, he is the youngest PM since Rosebery.
Is given a life peerage and becomes "Lord Wade of Huddersfield",
after his defeat in the October election.
Shops, Rate Office and the one-time Woolpack Inn are demolished
as part of the redevelopment scheme.
1ST OCTOBER 1965
CIVIC CENTRE PHASE 1
The building is officially opened by the Mayor Alderman
Huddersfield arts committee buys L.S. Lowry's view of Huddersfield.
The sketches for the painting were made from the top of
Chapel Hill looking towards Lockwood.
4TH JULY 1966
The first eight wardens go on duty. By September traders
are describing them as "over zealous".
Shows that its last films, "Masters of the World"
and "Goliath and the Dragon", before closure and
demolition. The Curzon stood on the site of Huddersfield's
first permanent cinema, the Picturedome, which also showed
the town's first talkies.
Is demolished to make a way for a new shopping precinct.
The old yard, attached to the inn, was originally used for
stabling and later became shops.
27TH JANUARY 1967
At Lindley's officially opened by Harold Wilson. Acclaimed
as one of the most modern in Britain, it replaces the old
infirmary in New North Road.
11TH JUNE 1967
The first purpose-built cinema in the town, closes its doors.
The last films shown are "the Quatermass experiment"
and "X the unknown".
15TH OCTOBER 1967
Move into their new HQ in the Civic Centre
2ND NOVEMBER 1967
HEYWOOD'S STORE FIRE
Five firemen and a policeman are injured in the fire which
destroys the department store on Market Street. Heywood's
first opened in Milnsbridge in 1906 and moved into the town
centre six years later.
ESSOLDO CINEMA FIRE
80 firemen fight the blaze, which almost destroys the cinema.
The weather is so cold that water from hoses freezes as
it falls. The cinema re-opens after rebuilding in July 1969.
5TH FEBRUARY 1968
CIVIC CENTRE PHASE II
Is opened by Dick Taverne. The new law courts are used for
the first time on 12th February.
20TH APRIL 1968
A civic exhibition to mark the centenary Year of the borough
is officially opened by Sir William Pennington-Ramsden,
7th Baronet. The exhibition attracts around 40,000 visitors.
22ND JUNE 1968
A mile and a half long pageant in the town centre depicts
the growth of the borough as a municipality and as an industrial
and social centre.
2ND JULY 1968
Hits Huddersfield in one of the worst storms in living memory
streets in Longroyd Bridge and Milnsbridge are flooded to
a depth of 18 inches. Giant hailstones smash windows and
13TH JULY 1968
END OF TROLLEYBUSES
The corporation's "Last Trolleybus Week" attracts
enthusiasts from all over the country. The very last journey
from Waterloo to Outlane is just 35 years after the first
trolleybus set out for Almondbury.
13TH OCTOBER 1969
MULTI-STOREY CAR PARK
The first of its kind in Huddersfield, is opened by the
Mayor, Alderman Kenneth Brooke.
VICTORIA AND UNICORN HOTELS
In Victoria Street are demolished
28TH MARCH 1970
The Old Market Hall closes for trade. The New Market Hall
opens for business on 1st April.
14TH APRIL 1970
HUDDERSFIELD TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB
Is back in the First Division after 14 years, due to a 3-1
win against Watford.
1ST JUNE 1970
Alderman Douglas Sisson becomes the first president of the
newly designated polytechnic.
8TH JULY 1970
Opens the new Welfare Centre in Zetland Street, visits the
ICI and takes a "walkabout" in the town. Her early
arrival at the Town Hall for lunch throws officials into
disarray, as does her decision to use the lift instead of
the stairs leaving the welcoming party with their backs
10TH DECEMBER 1970
The Outlane entrance to the M62 is opened in wet and foggy
weather by Major Bruce Eccles. The new 7m stretch of road
becomes a popular week-end "run" for local motorists.
26TH OCTOBER 1971
PACK HORSE CENTRE
Huddersfield's first pedestrian shopping precinct is opened
by the mayor, Alderman Mrs E.M. Whitteron.
Demolition begins on the "store that never was".
This supermarket block was intended to replace Heywood's
store, and was built on the same site, but reorganisation
of the firm meant that the store was never opened.
21ST MARCH 1972
RAMSDEN STREET BATHS
Which first opened in July 1879, now close prior to demolition.
PACK HORSE HOTEL
Controversial demolition of one of Huddersfield's oldest
public houses finally begins.
Trees are felled to make way for a new bus station. Officially
known as Peel Park, the land was given by Sir J.W. Ramsden
and was the first open space provided for the people of
Huddersfield by their council in 1869.
18TH FEBRUARY 1973
NEW NORTH ROAD BAPTIST CHURCH
The first service is held in the town's most modern church.
Features include an organ incorporating a digital computer
and an open baptistry like an indoor fish pond.
22ND MAY 1973
COUNCILLOR JOHN MERNAGH
Is sworn in as Huddersfield's last Mayor before the town
becomes part of Kirklees Metropolitan District, Harold Wilson
attends the Mayor-making celebration banquet.
24TH JULY 1973
Princess Anne opens the new £900,000 Sports Centre,
and is presented with honorary family membership by the
2ND NOVEMBER 1973
Is officially opened by Alderman Whittaker
26TH MARCH 1974
Is officially opened by the Mayor, Councillor Mernagh, despite
the fact that it has not actually been completed.
26TH MARCH 1974
ST GEORGES SQUARE FOUNTAIN
The Mayor switches on the new £15,000 fountain, and
officially christens it by throwing coins into the water.
The fountain, commemorating Huddersfield Borough, is over
100 years old and stood in Venice for many years. Unfortunately
the soft limestone is unable to survive the Huddersfield
climate, and the fountain is removed two years later.
27TH MARCH 1974
HUDDERSFIELD BOROUGH COUNCIL
Holds it final meeting and 'dies' aged 106. A massive firework
display in Greenhead Park and an official banquet mark its
22ND MARCH 1975
Britains first waste recycling centre opens at Albion Mills,
Milford Street. It is hoped that this Oxfam Scheme, which
has Government backing, might run in other areas.
28TH APRIL 1975
A £2 million plant to take industrial and domestic
waste, the most modern in West Yorkshire, opens.
CIVIC CENTRE PHASE III
Staff move into the new building.
13TH NOVEMBER 1977
LEO THE LION
The original 123 years old lion of Lion Chambers, removed
in January, served as a model for the fibreglass replacement
now installed on the building.
25TH DECEMBER 1977
Give a party for youngsters at Ivanhoe's club. Children of striking
firemen are among the guest's and food, presents and entertainment
are all provided free. Another gig for the adults is played on
the same night. This is to be the pop group's final concert in
Opens at Birkby in a converted textile mill. "Annie
Sugden" of Emmerdale Farm performs the ceremony.
27TH SEPTEMBER 1978
BRADLEY WOOD HOSPITAL
Formerly the Sanatorium, closes. Geriatric patients are
moved to St. Lukes and Mill Hill hospital.
SIR J.P.W. MALLALIEU
Huddersfield's longest serving M.P., receives a knighthood
in James Callaghan's resignation honours list.
7TH JULY 1979
HALIFAX BUILDING SOCIETY
The old building in Cloth Hall Street closes for the last
time. A new building by Abbey, Hanson, Rowe & Partners
opens on the same site in September 1981.
12TH NOVEMBER 1979
New £3 million plus supermarkets opens with a public
Famous herbal drink is no longer on sale in the Market Hall
after 100 years popularity. It seems that there is difficulty
in obtaining the ingredients today.
The first tenants move into the "new look" flats
which are now among the most sought in the town centre.
9TH MARCH 1981
Trades for the last time in Ray Street. From next week a
market will be held on Mondays and Thursdays at a new site
in Brook Street.
3RD AUGUST 1981
Is wrecked by a massive explosion, which hurls rubble as
far as the M62. Damage is estimated at £500,000 and
the building is almost totally destroyed. The Crematorium
is re-dedicated and re-opened in November.
18TH OCTOBER 1981
Celebrates its 100th birthday. A civic service is held at
the Parish Church, the Duke of Wellington's Regiment marches
through the town, there is an organ recital and an enactment
of the original opening ceremony.
Of Birkby spends a week in Oxford completing the acceptance
formalities which will make her the youngest girl ever to
attend a British University. She will be 12 years old when
she takes up her place in October 1983.
22ND MARCH 1982
PRINCE AND PRINCESS OF WALES
Pay their first visit to Huddersfield to meet people assisted
by the Prince's trust. Thousands turn out to welcome them
and they make a brief walkabout neat St. Patrick's centre.
KAYE'S KING STREET
Huddersfield's only privately owned department store announces
it will close in July, with 100 job losses. The recession
and town centre parking are blamed.
26TH OCTOBER 1982
New Huddersfield store opens in Market Street on the site
of the former YEB building, demolished in March 1981.
Management announce that the former Ritz Cinema will close
in March 1983 because it is not viable. The cinema is demolished
in June 1985 and replaced by shop and office accommodation.
11TH JANUARY 1983
It is one hundred years to the day since Huddersfield began
to run its own public transport. Two buses in original tram
and trolley liveries come into service.
22ND JULY 1983
SIR HAROLD WILSON
Is made a life peer in a post-election honours list and
becomes "lord Wilson of Rievaulx and Kirklees".
Curiously he was recommended not by Michael Foot, but by
Kirklees Council give the go-ahead for a £250,000
face-lift to the shopping arcade.
14TH OCTOBER 1983
ST LUKES HOSPITAL
The new £750,000 geriatric day hospital opens. This
is one of the first purpose built geriatric hospitals in
the Yorkshire region.
28TH JULY 1984
The famous film star, son of a Hudderfield textile merchant,
dies two months after his 75th birthday.
2ND JULY 1986
HUDDERFIELD CHORAL SOCIETY
Is awarded a golden disc for reaching number 9 in the pop
charts and selling over 100,000 copies of its anniversary
6TH NOVEMBER 1986
DOWN YOUR WAY
Brian Johnston is in Huddersfield to record a programme
from the town.
5TH MARCH 1987
Is officially opened by Dr. Alan Barlow and Mr. David Stocks.
All money for the 10 bed hospice for the terminally ill
was raised by charities.
25TH JUNE 1987
PRINCESS OF WALES
Visits the Royal infirmary to see the anti-natal clinic
and delivery unit. She also plants a flowering Cherry tree
at Help the Aged's sheltered housing complex at Dalton.
20TH OCTOBER 1987
Reaches its £500,000 target. The Bodyscanner is delivered
to the Royal Infirmary in December.
2ND DECEMBER 1987
PRINCE OF WALES
Opens an exhibition of paintings by Ashley Jackson at Bass
Yorkshire's H.Q. Lockwood. Proceeds from painting sales
are to be donated to the Prince's Youth Business Trust.
20TH FEBRUARY 1988
HUDDERSFIELD CHORAL SOCIETY
Dr. Jane Glover becomes the Society's first woman principal
6TH MAY 1988
Attends a concert at the Town Hall in aid of the Save the
Children Fund, and visits the Charity Shop in Westgate.
15TH JANUARY 1989
The first section of the major £3 million bypass is
17TH FEBRUARY 1989
MRS SUNDERLAND COMPETITION
There are over 1,000 entries for the Centenary Competition.
Lady Baribirolli judges the woodwind entries and the Solo
instrumentalists Challenge is won by flautist Wendy Goddard
of Liversedge. Actress Thelma Barlow, a former winner, presents
the speech and drama prizes.
Over 100 years of printing the newspaper in Ramsden Street
building comes to an end with the switch to the new hi-tec
colour press at Aspley.
5TH JUNE 1989
Despite a buy-out attempt by Council-backed workers, an
£11.6 million deal is signed to sell the engineering
firm to the Scottish based Weir Group.
6TH JUNE 1989
DUCHESS OF YORK
Pays her first visit to West Yorkshire to open Huddersfield's
three day 'Business for Business' exhibition to Leeds Road
HUDDERSFIELD CENTRAL LIBRARY 50TH ANNIVERSARY
To be celebrated with various activities, exhibition and the
publication of Noel Spencer's 'A scrapbook of Huddersfield',
'Almondbury and Huddersfield: a map collection 1634-1860',
and this leaflet.